House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starcraft II to become 3 games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Starcraft II to become 3 games Reply with quote

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17914_1-10064759-89.html?tag=mncol;posts

From the article:

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that StarCraft II is shaping up to be a much more ambitious product than Blizzard Entertainment had originally conceived, and the company is going to be forced to delay parts of the game.

The good news is that instead of waiting until everything in the game is complete, Blizzard is splitting the game into a trilogy--each focusing on a different StarCraft race.

The first game in the series--Wings of Liberty--will focus on the Terrans. The second game, Heart of the Swarm, will focus on the Zerg, while the final game, Legacy of the Void, will be devoted to the Protoss.

According to Blizzard, each release will be a fully fledged campaign, featuring 26 to 30 missions apiece with a branching storyline that will change depending on players' choices. Each release in the trilogy will also feature the multiplayer portion, with all three races playable and balanced, according to Blizzard.

Although Activision claims the game will be released in 2009, like all Blizzard Entertainment games expect it "when it's done." Which conceivably could be 2010.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I read that announcement on Whempys yesterday. I don't like what they are doing.

They are call them games and not patches... So each "game" is going to cost $50 each which means the full GAME is going to cost $150 if bought when each part is released. OR at least that is what everyone on whempys thinks is going to happen and I agree with them.

I don't think I am going to buy it until the second one is released because I want to see how Blizzard plays this out. because I don't care how good Starcraft is, it isn't worth $150 over 3 to 5 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deathscythe343
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, starscraft is great and all but not $150 great
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, read this on IGN a few days ago. Its called the Half-Life 3 Syndrome & its NOT a bad thing! Well, except for that whole price thing.

They'd be smart to make the first one $50 & then the next two like $20
Forum User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for the idea of the forth race hinted at in Starcraft I.

This is possibly the first time I've seen Blizzard do something that made me think "What the hell are they on?"

I see that I'll be playing Diablo III while I wait for all three of the Starcraft games to come out before I know they are worth getting/will be competed (I distrust episodic gaming).

Never thought I'd say that about a Blizzard game.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has announced prices yet! The Whempys guys are jumping the gun. It's much more likely that the first Starcraft II game will be $50 since the other two will be coming out pretty quickly. I think they'll either be priced as expansions, or you will get a discount on the 2nd and 3rd games if you buy the ones before them.

As for investment...

WOW = $50
Burning Crusade = $30-$40, depending on when you bought it
Wrath of the Lich King = $40 if you buy it now
monthly fee = $15 per account

Adds up to a bit more than $150 over 3-5 years, no? Smile

Personally, I think if the game is gonna be THAT big, I'd rather have them do it this way than make us wait another 2 years for one big complete version.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcraft isn't an MMO... it is a single game with a low replay value for the single player mod once played through not worth the price of 3 $50 games.

And I agree with your guys about how if they do it right the 2 and 3 should less... but you guys also used the word "expansion" and Blizzard has already made it clear that these are "games" not "expansions" Expansion are always cheap the the first game, but a "game" means that it will be at full price... This what the guys at Whempys were bring out... And yes, we don't know yet, but that is the worst case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wang
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this just plain sucks if you ask me but it would probably be better to wait to the end when they will probably release a SC2 Battlechest which will be a lot cheaper.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest y'all move on with your lives & forget about it. Its Blizzard, they change their mind on things A LOT! (Hi, I'm Starcraft Ghost & I'm coming out..um, NEVER!)

So just wait till it actually is priced & then discuss. KTHX.
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill just ask santa to buy it for me for Christmas
commandertracker
Forum User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly willing to bet that the prices of all three games won't be $50 dollars each. I'm more than willing to give Blizzad that much.

I just mistrust episode stuff in general - I won't buy it until all three are out no matter how cheap or expensive they are. *shrug*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: