House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romney Suspends (DROPS OUT) Campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Romney Suspends (DROPS OUT) Campaign Reply with quote

I need a hug. Anyone?

I can't take how STUPID people are in this country. What the hell is wrong with all these people?! If they want McCain then they're gonna get him and I'm gonna be pissed.

Seems Romney got asked by the party to step aside today. His only way to keep my respect is to LEAVE the stupid party & run as an Independent so that the conservatives have someone to vote for. If he doesn't, then he's just another politician who doesn't get another glance from me.

What a terrible week.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's more complicated than that, I think. Romney has started looking at the big picture, and that's kind of what I've been mulling over myself this last week.

Basically, he's absolutely right that him getting out will strengthen McCain. If the Dem's go to a brokered convention, odds are HIGHLY in McCain's favor, as there's few ways a brokered convention can go well for the Dems.

Now I know what you're thinking...McCain being strong is BAD. I agree. The more I think about it, though, Obama or Clinton winning is indeed worse. Believe me, I've thought very hard about this. The only reason I believe this to be true is because of two Supreme Court nominations VERY likely (almost certain). The nomination of new justices will hold sway for likely decades, while a President only serves 8 years at best.

While McCain may be likely to turn out a bad justice like Souter, Hillary would be liable to turn out a contitutional travesty like Ginsberg.

Further, I doubt McCain would be a two-term President. The Dems will probably try to run a very Moderate Democrat against him in 2012. In my mind, that's the only kind that could win against an incumbent McCain. Someone young could do it, however, given how ancient McCain will appear by then. I feel we want this, truth be told...as I also think the Congress will be majority Republican again, as Conservatives take their frustrations with the Presidential debacle out on Congressmen.

Come 2016, re-enter the still young Mitt Romney, who just may even be Senator Romney by that point. (Just one of many rumors in the mill). It's a whole new ballgame, and the GOP will be ready for a real conservative again.

Lastly, remember that in the last 60 or so years, we've had exactly TWO Presidents win by running on strict Conservative principles...Reagan and Bush II. Ford, Nixon, and Bush I were all concessions on the part of conservatives. We all know just how Liberal Bush II turned out to really be in the end. The moral of the story? We'll survive the hit, so long as we continue to push conservative values in our Senators and Representatives. In this, I suppose I disagree with Rush Limbaugh. Mark that one on your calendars, folks.

After all is said and done, I'm still a little torn whether to vote McCain or abstain. After all, a Hillary win would virtually guarantee a GOP Congress in 2010. Romney would also get his shot then in 2012. I'm still willing to entertain that this is worth giving up those Supreme court nominees for, especially if our new GOP Congress is hard line conservative.

It's a complicated question, and I was mad like you on Super Tuesday. Since Mitt's withdrawal, though, I've seen this in a few new lights, and though I'm certainly not happy, I'm finding ways to deal with it.
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it just occurred to me just how "par for the course" this really is. It's been a pretty well established phenomenon that Democrats tend to come out in greater numbers for Primaries than Republicans. (Though that's certainly not what the cable news networks are saying, of course).
Shoot, in some states like California, Independents are allowed to vote Democrat, but not Republican, so there's another skew in that direction.

What this means, with Liberals being more likely to vote primaries, is that McCain getting so powerful early on is not suprising. Hardcore conservatives have to be given a legitimate REASON to vote, and unfortunately, nobody on the GOP ticket brought that, so the one who conformed to the traditional pseudo-lib mold won out.

Also, there's the Huckabee factor. His supporters were Romney supporters, should Huck have ever quit. Of course, Huck knew this, and parlayed it most likely into a deal with McCain. I'm very confident Romney would have won if not for him.

All I'm saying is that the Republicans haven't gone down the tube, just failed to bring out the crucial voting block they needed, and split the one they did have.
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I can't stop! Can you tell how much time I've spent on this?

Romney ran a bad campaign. He got offensive too early, pissed off Huckabee, who bit him in the ass in the end. Then, when the economy BURST out as issue #1, he should have WTFPWN'D McCain, but didn't emphasize his expertise enough on business savvy! Instead, he tried to preach identity politics, i.e. "I'm the true conservative", and failed to reach the right people.

Identity politics vs Identity politics rarely results in much. The current Democratic race is testament to this. Romney went identity late, so McCain's "I'm a war hero" was better established.

Romney was far from a great candidate, but he was our best bet after Thompson got out. I think he'll learn, though, and the more I think on it, he's done the right thing by getting out now.
Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, you're reacting just the way the liberals are hoping ALL conservatives are reacting. I have to admit though, my first reaction (and TXT message to Damin) was "WTF Romney??" ... lawl...

So I called Damin, and he brought up the two Supreme court justices that are due to be nominated. If we let a liberal president nominate two justices, that basically greenlights things like the "Fairness Doctrine" and other politically-correct BS like we ended up with when Nixon tried to reach out to those people. Affirmative Action ring any bells? Razz

As much as I hate to say it, McCain is better than either Obama OR Hillary for President. Rush and Glenn have been tossing around this notion that one of those two ought to be President, because that way we can pin the screwups on the Democrats and win Congress back. I'd personally like to keep the screwups to a minimum. McCain will not endorse national healthcare and the libs know it. He also opposes them on withdrawing from Iraq. I don't think he knows squat about the economy, but I do agree with him that tax rebates are meaningless unless govt. spending is cut as well.

Why do I hate to support McCain, then? Because he's no Ronald Reagan. But then again, none of this year's candidates are. McCain is better than the alternative, in my opinion.

Rush and Glenn are rightfully pissed at the Republican party for "going moderate" yet again. So am I! But the fact remains that even Romney isn't the best example of conservative leadership. He was just the most preferable one of the bunch.

As for Romney in 2012, he had better de-emphasize the fact that he's a Mormon and try to ignite the conservative base. While it's no big deal for most of the country, southern evangelicals would rather vote for a moderate Baptist than a conservative Mormon. (This is why Romney couldn't even win FLORIDA!) I do think he should run for the Senate, because I think he could beat Ted Kennedy now.
Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I despise all 4 of the front-runners, the Supremes matter most (at least right now).

Like many of you, I've gone thru a whole gambit of emotions lately regarding the state of the country and the GOP and just WHAT ON FREAKING EARTH PEOPLE ARE THINKING!!!!

However, let me do something I do in class a lot: I would like to float a number of hypotheses for consideration - -I'm not sure I fully "buy-into" all of these yet (only time will tell), but I think they may be worth keeping in mind over the next 9 months, 2 yrs, and 4 yrs. as we watch the political mess play out:

1) The GOP used conservatives like a cheap hooker to get W and his minions into power. Heretical to say, I know, but look: other than the war, taxes, and the judges, W was never the conservative we all thought he was. The old GOP power-brokers, Wall-street GOP-er's, wishy-washy GOP governors, and the blue-blood republicans really hate us and want to see us marginalized. We better re-think party-loyalty.....

2) Conservatives had better define their beliefs about government, etc, and CONTRAST THEM like crazy with the so-called moderates like McCain. Make no mistake: McCain WILL be a disaster and the press will use him to try and destroy us. We have to take it to 'em!

3) A majority of people will SAY they support more conservative views/values in polls when you take-out the political-speak, but in reality, most people are content to put-up with far more liberal views, especially when theya re so easily swayed by popular media.

4) No TRUE conservative, right now at least, with half a brain will go near running for prez because of what the media will do to their family, etc. We have a complete lack of leadership that is willing to take-on the political process (cant say I blame them). But lets face it: until someone does, we will be "wandering in the desert" and we're gonna keep getting shafted. A real leader needs to stand-up. Rush/Sean/Glenn cant continue to be the only leadership (as good as they are).

5) The media thinks we're done-for b/c McCain is the nominee-apparent. What they dishonestly fail to mention is that most conservatives saw no reason to go out and vote in the primaries, other than to give McCain a black eye.... Romney really wasn't a good conservative either - he just wasn't nearly as bad as the others (this statement in and of itself is a pretty good indictment of the state of the party).

6) Watch how things play-out and REMEMBER. Don't let people forget that we tried to tell them.

Well, that's all for now.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously know that McCain is better than Hillary or Obama...c'mon. That doesn't change the fact that I don't have to like him and I don't have to vote for him. I haven't decided if I will or not. I just don't trust the guy.

My frustration is with the Primary Election set up. I HATE and LOATH that everyone doesn't vote on the same day. Now, since Ohio votes later than Iowa, I can't vote for Fred or Mitt. My choices are Huckabee or McCain.

I want the Primary to be like the General and have the entire thing done on one day, throughout the entire country. The current way of doing it is stupid.

I agree with you guys on all your other (many, many) points. I get it. I just don't LIKE IT. Win or lose...I just want the opportunity to vote for someone who is close to sharing my value system...is that SO much to ask?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: