House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWE's current direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: WWE's current direction Reply with quote

while I may not like a lot about the WWE's current direction, I'm starting to really like a lot of it.

Having Bret as the GM of RAW is brilliant. He can be on TV and sell his merch and be himself without having to give matches that we all know he's unable to do. Love it!

Call me what you will but I'm REALLY starting to love the Whiny I'm Sweet Heel Batista. It REALLY works. This week's promo sold me. It makes me laugh so much. "This place is nothing without me!! It'll go bankrupt within a week! All of you will be so bored, you'll pay to see me!" I LOL'D! THEN Justin Roberts says "Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Batista!" the crowd boos and he says "You'll be nothin' without me!" Wow. This entire segment was perfect.

For whatever reason, I found Jon Lovitz pretty hilarious.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lovitz is in that picture?

Also, from what I've been reading, Batista is done w/ WWE for a while.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big issue is that too much talent is buried on RAW, and Taker really has no opposition on Smackdown. Plus, Swagger is nub.

I've found the Divas scene to be largely stale. I love Maryse, but Eve doesn't do it for me. We NEED that Maryse/Gail feud to be done right.

Cena is boring as always...nothing new there.

Having Edge and Jericho on the same show is basically a vortex of awesome heelage...however, with Edge, Jericho, Cena, HHH (technically), Batista (maybe), Sheamus, and Orton on the same show, it's totally top heavy. This wouldn't have been bad if Miz, Morrison, and Dibiase had ended up on Smackdown, but they didn't, and they're largely not going to get anywhere.

Morrison is being disappointingly booked. I honestly feel he's the best in-ring performer in the company right now.

Miz is hopefully being booked for a big push, but given what I've said before, I don't see how this is going to happen. Of the midcard, he's probably the best all around performer, if you count Christian as main-eventer.

R-truth as US Champ? Eh, not bad, but it should continue to be him/Dibiase. I want to see Jericho/Miz as tag champs...then have Show take them on by himself. I can totally see this happening.

Right now, I am in agreement with Alex that Orton is the best thing happening in the WWE. His current role as vicious tweener is excellent. People BLOW THE ROOF OFF when his music hits, but he's definitely not playing face quite yet. Hopefully he sticks with that. Alex thinks they'll eventually replace Taker with Orton...not at the dead man, but as the lead "tweener" monster character, whatever persona they choose to apply to that. If he can continue like he is, I totally see this happening. I remember thinking a while back that they should pass on the ACTUAL dead man gimmick to someone after Mark Callaway retires...think they could pull that off with Orton? I sure do, but we know that won't happen.

Not watching Smackdown b/c it takes too much effort, so pfffft. I do likey Layla, though...

Guest hosts have been pretty meh. I'm mixed on Brett being GM, because he has the charisma of a bag of potatoes. He does lend a lot of name-credibility though, so that's good. I had REALLY hoped the big GM reveal would the the Rock. Guess they have something else big planned for him. Having Brett as GM is great while they have the Pink Brigade as tag champs, but it will get stale quickly.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! I wasn't finished...

I laughed my ARS OFF @ Khali! I love Young Frankenstein and laugh at that part every time. This was better than I could of hoped for. Khali was so off, it was PERFECT!

Segment saved by Ted DiBiase. Classic segment where he wants to buy the eye. Add a little Santino and the Vulcan Neck Pinch & its great. Lovitz line "Must be good he's got a belt" was great. It seems like the WWE's wrestling has become total crap but their characters and segments have become gold.

The rest of the show was meh. & what was up with those tards at the end of the Hart Dynasty match?
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Rikishiites.

Perhaps THAT'S how Rock will come back.
Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two guys who attacked the HF are Rikishi's twin sons, and the woman is Snuka's daughter.

I like Orton as the mysterious tweener, but that will get old quickly if the fans don't feel any reciprocation from the guy they're trying to cheer.

I still can't stand Edge, and likely never will be able to again. It goes beyond his whole thing with The Boring Matt Hardy and Lita. His " OMG ME SO ANGRY" character is old & busted. They obviously aren't gonna pair him with Christian, neither as a tag team nor in a feud. He just keeps on beating the "opportunist" dead horse gimmick while still calling himself the "rated-R superstar" on a production that has clearly gone PG. LAAAME.

Cena's matches are all the same, although I have a feeling the one at the PPV was probably a good one to watch. But not for $50. I enjoy his promos... this week he called Sheamus the "human jar of mayonnaise" and said he was "moonlighting as Beaker from the Muppets with a chip on his shoulder." I LOL'D SRSLY!

DiBiase & Virgil = awesome. His dad started out this way and I've always wanted to see them continue that gimmick with the spoiled son. Bringing Virgil back has been fun, but I feel like Ted Jr. needs someone different to continue the "legacy." Besides, where's Virgil's tuxedo? You can't just throw a t-shirt and sport jacket on him and expect people to "get it."

I was digging Batista as the whiny heel too, but apparently he's gone now, and maybe for quite some time. Nice ending to that feud, I thought... As for HHH, he won't be back for a while either.

Can't comment on Smackdown, since I don't get to watch it. That will all change when it moves to Sci-Fi, though. Looking forward to that.

NXT had something going with the Daniel Bryan/Michael Cole thing, but this week they just didn't handle it right. They obviously want fans to get behind Daniel Bryan. If that's true, why did Cole use such common-sense criticism of Bryan's "performance" on NXT as a contestant? I actually found myself agreeing with Cole on a few things, and that just pissed me off. Stupid Cole. I do think Wade Barrett will "win" NXT, but of course, that was decided months ago.

Maryse vs. Gail feud NEEDS TO HAPPEN. SRSLY. Eve has improved a lot, but she's nowhere near Gail's level. Neither is Maryse, for that matter, but moreso than Eve, and besides -- Gail can carry any of them in a match and make it interesting.

Bret Hart as GM was a pleasant surprise, but I have to agree with Damin -- Bret's ability in the ring is what made him a superstar back in the day, not his mic skills. Today, mic skills are even more important to have. His segment backstage with Edge and Jericho made me feel like he was reduced to "lame guest host status" because their acting skills are so much better. Maybe we're spoiled today, because so many wrestlers are expressive and good talkers. I like Bret, but I'm still not sure how well he'll fit in with this new generation.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see, i'll try to go point by point...for fun.

Dana wrote:
Can't comment on Smackdown, since I don't get to watch it. That will all change when it moves to Sci-Fi, though. Looking forward to that.

every episode of WWE programing is on YOUTUBE. you put in Smackdown & the date you wanna watch. they'll be in 10 parts or so. so you can read the results & see if anything is worth watching.

Dana wrote:
The two guys who attacked the HF are Rikishi's twin sons, and the woman is Snuka's daughter.

Its actually HD, Hart Dynasty, not Hart Foundation. Razz Interesting. I have no opinion of them as I've seen them do nothing yet.

Dana wrote:
I like Orton as the mysterious tweener, but that will get old quickly if the fans don't feel any reciprocation from the guy they're trying to cheer.

Exactly. You can't continue being the tweener forever...unless he becomes the new deadman...& then he might be able to pull that off. I kinda doubt that'll happen. It would be too good an idea.

Dana wrote:
I still can't stand Edge, and likely never will be able to again. It goes beyond his whole thing with The Boring Matt Hardy and Lita. His " OMG ME SO ANGRY" character is old & busted. They obviously aren't gonna pair him with Christian, neither as a tag team nor in a feud. He just keeps on beating the "opportunist" dead horse gimmick while still calling himself the "rated-R superstar" on a production that has clearly gone PG. LAAAME.

I feel the same. Edge was worth something at one point in his career. Anymore? NO! He can't wrestle (did you see the Christian vs Edge match? AWFUL!) he sucks on the mic for the reasons Dana stated. He'll never be a face because he's not likable. All he does is run around shouting "SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR" really? really?! thats what ya got? you're done Edge. Time to move to TNA.

Dana wrote:
Cena's matches are all the same, although I have a feeling the one at the PPV was probably a good one to watch. But not for $50. I enjoy his promos... this week he called Sheamus the "human jar of mayonnaise" and said he was "moonlighting as Beaker from the Muppets with a chip on his shoulder." I LOL'D SRSLY!

Cena's promos are good. His character needs a tweak of SOME kind. His wrestling style needs something. Maybe a new gimmick. Not sure but I agree he's pretty formulaic in his matches.

Dana wrote:
DiBiase & Virgil = awesome. His dad started out this way and I've always wanted to see them continue that gimmick with the spoiled son. Bringing Virgil back has been fun, but I feel like Ted Jr. needs someone different to continue the "legacy." Besides, where's Virgil's tuxedo? You can't just throw a t-shirt and sport jacket on him and expect people to "get it."

DiBiase is one of my fav guys now. I liked him before but with the Million Dollar Son gimmick, he's gold. Virgil is good to have around for a bit until a new guy can take the spot. "How much for the eye?"

Dana wrote:
I was digging Batista as the whiny heel too, but apparently he's gone now, and maybe for quite some time. Nice ending to that feud, I thought... As for HHH, he won't be back for a while either.

In classic WWE style, they shut down something when I start to like it. Bah!

Dana wrote:
NXT had something going with the Daniel Bryan/Michael Cole thing, but this week they just didn't handle it right. They obviously want fans to get behind Daniel Bryan. If that's true, why did Cole use such common-sense criticism of Bryan's "performance" on NXT as a contestant? I actually found myself agreeing with Cole on a few things, and that just pissed me off. Stupid Cole. I do think Wade Barrett will "win" NXT, but of course, that was decided months ago.

Agreed. I like Barrett but Bryan was right. Cole is a pathetic replacement for JR.

Dana wrote:
Maryse vs. Gail feud NEEDS TO HAPPEN. SRSLY. Eve has improved a lot, but she's nowhere near Gail's level. Neither is Maryse, for that matter, but moreso than Eve, and besides -- Gail can carry any of them in a match and make it interesting.

Yeah. Add Natalia to the division and a returning Melina (whenever that is) & you've got yourself a division. Of course, you'll have to dedicate some REAL time to their matches and stop making them walking eye candy every week. You can have those, they're called Valets. The female wrestlers need to be pretty but a different breed of hot because they have talent in the ring.

Dana wrote:
Bret Hart as GM was a pleasant surprise, but I have to agree with Damin -- Bret's ability in the ring is what made him a superstar back in the day, not his mic skills. Today, mic skills are even more important to have. His segment backstage with Edge and Jericho made me feel like he was reduced to "lame guest host status" because their acting skills are so much better. Maybe we're spoiled today, because so many wrestlers are expressive and good talkers. I like Bret, but I'm still not sure how well he'll fit in with this new generation.

I guess I'm just a mark as everyone seems to not like Bret. I know Dana said he liked him but seriously, who else is gonna be GM? Vickie?! Vince?! Same old crap. With Bret, you have a fresh guy and yeah, he's not good on the mic. Duh. He's never been great but he was decent back in the day. He's better when he's angry at someone. Maybe they need to make him angry at this new generation for being so lazy and focused on themselves instead of the fans. At the very least, he'll be a nice change of pace and FINALLY stop the guest hosts from pretending they have a clue on how to create a match & even sometimes, say the wrestlers names. At least Bret won't have trouble there. PLUS! As a former World Champ, the wrestlers can't stand up to him but Jericho...he'll try & it'll be great & most likely lead to a lame match down the road. I figure keep Bret till Fall & bring in someone new. A new Bischoff would be great.

Ravage wrote:
My big issue is that too much talent is buried on RAW, and Taker really has no opposition on Smackdown. Plus, Swagger is nub.

Um...duh? so common sense that it doesn't need to be said.

Ravage wrote:
Morrison is being disappointingly booked. I honestly feel he's the best in-ring performer in the company right now.

Why are you surprised?

Ravage wrote:
Miz is hopefully being booked for a big push, but given what I've said before, I don't see how this is going to happen. Of the midcard, he's probably the best all around performer, if you count Christian as main-eventer.

That'd be nice. I love Miz and Jericho. Christian is screwed I think.

Ravage wrote:
R-truth as US Champ? Eh, not bad, but it should continue to be him/Dibiase. I want to see Jericho/Miz as tag champs...then have Show take them on by himself. I can totally see this happening.

K-Kwik the Truth Ron Killings deserves a title. He's worked hard for it. We'll see how he is as a Champ as its been awhile.

Ravage wrote:
Right now, I am in agreement with Alex that Orton is the best thing happening in the WWE. His current role as vicious tweener is excellent. People BLOW THE ROOF OFF when his music hits, but he's definitely not playing face quite yet. Hopefully he sticks with that. Alex thinks they'll eventually replace Taker with Orton...not at the dead man, but as the lead "tweener" monster character, whatever persona they choose to apply to that. If he can continue like he is, I totally see this happening. I remember thinking a while back that they should pass on the ACTUAL dead man gimmick to someone after Mark Callaway retires...think they could pull that off with Orton? I sure do, but we know that won't happen.

Again, interesting, I like it. Vince will never do it...its too good an idea and he's not into those. Clearly.

Ravage wrote:
Not watching Smackdown b/c it takes too much effort, so pfffft. I do likey Layla, though...

Lovin' Layla as Champ but as always, Michelle is ruining it. She must have SUCH an ego that Layla can't even have her own title reign without Michelle ALSO being Women's Champ with her. ISH!

Ravage wrote:
Guest hosts have been pretty meh. I'm mixed on Brett being GM, because he has the charisma of a bag of potatoes. He does lend a lot of name-credibility though, so that's good. I had REALLY hoped the big GM reveal would the the Rock. Guess they have something else big planned for him. Having Brett as GM is great while they have the Pink Brigade as tag champs, but it will get stale quickly.

I haven't liked the guest lately but Lovitz made me laugh a lot. He was a good choice. Rock coming back will be great BUT I'm NEVER going to believe it until it happens. Hey, if Bret can come back, ANYONE can. So we'll wait and see.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you CAN be a tweener long-term, if you're played out right. Taker, Kane, Show and Abyss have all managed this just fine (nobody for as long as Taker, obviously). You just have to be booked as a monster, get the crowd behind you, and not give a damn. I don't think Orton should play to the crowd at all...he just needs to come down silent and ominous, as he has been, kick ass, and go back. No dirty playing, that's too heel, and no playing the crowd - too face. I want to see him just be a total no-nonsense VIPER that he really does play very well. Just make him a little darker and a little more unstoppable, and I think you've got a winner. He would, however, not be able to be booked weakly ever again, which means that they couldn't use him quite as much. We'll see.

I agree that Brett as GM is far better than Vickie/Vince/Teddy/even Regal, as this is basically what has been going on for the last FIVE YEARS. They do need to find a new Eric Bischoff, but I'm not sure where to look for that. My first thought is Striker, but he's too good on color. They should probably bring in someone with no Wrestling ties at all...or, dare I say, JBL????
Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They originally tried pushing Austin as a heel, but the crowd turned him into a tweener. If they had never started the Austin vs. Vince angle (which turned him face), he wouldn't have become one of the top wrestlers of all time. Taker hasn't been a tweener for a long, long time. Kane only seems like one because they use him so poorly... "oh, we have a small guy to crush? Book Kane. Oh, we have someone who needs to learn a lesson? Book Kane." Tweeners rarely stay that way, because the crowds want them to go one way or the other. The crowd is the only unstoppable force in wrestling, not the characters.

Quote:
I want to see him just be a total no-nonsense VIPER that he really does play very well. Just make him a little darker and a little more unstoppable, and I think you've got a winner.

AKA Schizm, lol...

Quote:
Christian is screwed I think.

I just read that they are tagging him with Hornswoggle now on Smackdown. Yep, he's screwed.

I don't see how they can make Orton a new "dead man." There's only one, just like there's only one Hogan, one Austin, and one Rock. Anything else would seem like a ripoff and he'd constantly be compared to the "original." Plus, it'd take an enormous investment of personal freedoms on Randy's part. Aside from the stupid "big evil" Underbiker gimmick a few years ago, Mark Calaway has lived that character since he debuted. He isn't seen at the HOF ceremony, he doesn't do appearances, etc... all to preserve the authenticity of the character. It makes him more believable.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree completely about the Tweener characters. Taker is totally a tweener, no matter what the crowd reaction is. Crowd reaction doesn't dictate the dynamic, it just should be the measuring stick by which writers base the face/heel swings. A true tweener is not something you typically see, but I'd argue that Taker currently still fills that role. Kane has been toggling face/heel recently, so not him, but he used to do it as well.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taker used to be a tweener when started. The crowd hated him because he was new and fighting Hogan. He quickly became a face and spoke on the mic as one. Then Ministry Taker showed up. He was a full heel and spoke on the mic like one. Then Biker Taker, full face then heel, then face again. Spoke like it each time. Then he returned at WM20 as the dead man. Since then, he's acted like a bit of a tweener but mostly a face. He doesn't speak on the mic as often as he used to but when he does its pretty much a face speech for the crowd to scare his opponent. He doesn't wrestler bad guys so really, he's a face. I understand the fact that Randy ignores the crowd but Taker never does and never has. He's always used to crowd which is why he's so great. A true tweener, can't stay that way for too long because the crowd will push them one way and the writers will follow or loose interest if it doesn't happen. Like it or not, Randy is a tweener but he's leaning face and it'll be full blown soon enough. He may not change his actions too much but it'll be just subtle enough to notice.

Kane was sort of a tweener several years ago but he's really been a heel and face too. Really, Show has been the best tweener ever. He's currently the only guy I'd throw in that category. He fights heels and faces, he makes jokes and gets the crowd behind him then makes fun of their favorite heel and then them BUT everyone still loves him cuz...he's the BIG SHOW! So, Big Show may be the only true tweener and a long term one...but we'll see.

As for a new dead man. I'm seriously doubting it. You'd have to do it with a new guy and that's risky.

I think the new Bischoff would HAVE to be a brand new face to wrestling. However, I'd rather see JBL as GM of RAW for a VERY long time. It'd be fantastic.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm, still disagree, and still think Taker is a tweener right now.
You can't get more tweener than to be completely disaffected by heels and faces equally, and I believe Taker is.

Sure, he's booked more as a face, but booking can change with the wind, especially with someone who rides the line like he does.

/agree about Show, tho.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems our fundamental disconnect is that you feel a tweener is someone who ignores everyone, their environment doesn't effect them. However, I feel the character makes them a tweener or not. Tweener means in between good and bad, being neither or both. Taker doesn't take heel actions...ever. He may play a dark and seemingly evil character but the people love him and he fights for them...for good. Show fights for himself. his character has even said it but in the next breathe he'll make fun of a heel for being a jerk.

Taker doesn't do that. Randy sorta does. He's interacting with faces now but he isn't friends with them. he's taking heel actions but yet he's turning against the bad guys. it won't last long though.

i guess we disagree.

by the way...if my computer was functioning, i'd probably not be talking this much about tweeners in wrestling. seems its time to fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: