House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TF2 TEAM UPDATE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: TF2 TEAM UPDATE! Reply with quote

Ok, so I showed this to Damin last night.

http://guarddog.50webs.com/

Its not real...or is it? Here is the scoop. Apparently, a fan posted this on the TF2 forums as a fake. This happens often but this one was really good. Valve saw it (as I'm sure they see most of them) & threw it up on their TF2 Blog with a "Patent Pending" note from Saxon Hale.

This intrigues me. As I know none of this stuff is developed and was a WONDERFUL ruse...it seems that the guys at Valve found it interesting. Me thinks they have thoughts of possibly adapting this concept into the game after all. I guess we'll find out one day.

Bottom line, nothing new for TF2 is coming until L4D2 is released. Bummer.
Forum User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for some tips in playing either the Spy or the Demoman. I've tried the classes out just to mildly get an attempt on how the classes play out but I haven't spent much time doing that. I know those two classes are probably the two that just completely dominate me in-game so I figure if I can get decent with those two classes it may help me in other areas. This entire week I open but I may have to go in and just some odds and ends but shouldn't take too long. If we can get the ZAN server up I'd be up for a tutorial owning

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Erik Dodd
Forum User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow just got done playing a Demoman for like an hr. I love the class. I was tearing up. Gotta play more later

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Admiral Trell
Forum User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, the Guard Dog would be sweet... they should use it!!!
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik Dodd wrote:
I'm looking for some tips in playing either the Spy or the Demoman. I've tried the classes out just to mildly get an attempt on how the classes play out but I haven't spent much time doing that. I know those two classes are probably the two that just completely dominate me in-game so I figure if I can get decent with those two classes it may help me in other areas. This entire week I open but I may have to go in and just some odds and ends but shouldn't take too long. If we can get the ZAN server up I'd be up for a tutorial owning

I can offer tips in both, actually, as they're my two most played classes.

The Demoman is easy - PRACTICE TIMING
With the basic launcher, it's just a matter of getting the timing and arcs down to where you know how to fire at where someone is going to be rather than where they are. Get that figured out, and you'll pwn everyone (I still suck at it, really). For the stickies, it's easier, but more strategic. A very good strategy is to poke out from around corners, trap the corners, and as someone follows you back around, nuke 'em till they glow. I'm not sure I can help too much there either, though, it's mostly a matter of timing and geometry again, and just takes a ton of practice.

Spy you'll never really learn just by practicing, unless you read up on the class as well.
A simple breakdown:

- Disguise doesn't work. Don't rely on it against anything but sentries. It's best to use it whenever you can, though, just so you can blend more easily into the enemies' peripheral vision. If you are looked directly at, you will be dead 90% of the time, period. The most reliable disguises are Pyro, Sniper, Engie and Medic, although I use Scout extensively as well, since graphically he fits into corners very well. Though people online will disagree with this, the Demo, Soldier, and Heavy disguises are useless - you never want to be slowed down in the least. The spy disguise is also terrible, since teammates have a habit of spychecking ally spies so much, that disguising as one is pretty much asking to be spychecked.

- Use the basic watch until you get the Cloak and Dagger. The Dead Ringer is situational at best, and very poor for achieving any objective except irritating the enemy. The basic watch recharges from ammo packs and dropped weapons, so keep an eye on your surroundings to stay cloaked. The C&D recharges as long as you're not moving, and is arguably the best watch.

- Be patient. Find a hiding place around a corner from where enemies will be rushing, then jump out and take the primary targets (Medics). Should a Medic be ducking and weaving a lot, it is a far surer thing to go for the guy he's healing, then spin and shoot the Medic in the head. Also pay attention for Snipers that may be mowing down your team, and target them early. Should none of the "sweet" targets appear, then go after soldiers and demos. Don't even attempt to get into combat with a scout, they will WTFPWN you. Contrary to popular belief, the Scout is deadlier to spies than the Pyro ever has been.

I'd be happy to help you learn some of the tricks, just find me online sometime and message me. It's much easier to show you how to do something than tell you.

- Be prepared to die. A lot. If you're not willing to die more than survive, don't play Spy.
Erik Dodd
Forum User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've noticed you can't fire your gun or use the knife while cloaked, that correct? I just find it hard to believe spies sneak up on me so often and kill me so quick and are back into the shadows. I'm assuming I just have to quickly de-cloak, fire or stab then cloak again?

Another thing. I've been messing around with a medic especially if we just need an extra healer or something. When I have my uber can I see myself turn a solid color and be invul? Either I can't see it on myself or I'm doing it wrong. I know I have to hit mouse2 to activate it but can I not do it while I'm healing someone?

Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot do anything but run while cloaked. You're essentially correct, just decloak, land your attack, and hit the cloak button again immediately. The exception is when other enemies are around, when attempting to recloak would get you killed, then you just need to duke it out w/the revolver, or do an endo-run and get backstabs on them (and be proclaimed a hacker, fyi). If using the basic watch, what I do is cloack past the front lines into a hiding spot (usually a corner or nook where you're not immediately visible to people running towards the point/intel) and decloak. As a prime target walks by, simply run out immediately behind as if you too are running toward the objective. Knife the loser, immediately cloak, and head back to the hiding spot. Find a new hiding spot every several kills, as people will be expecting you in certain areas. Also remember after killing someone to pick up their weapon, as it will recharge the cloak a bit.

If you are lucky enough to have Cloak & Dagger, you don't need to decloak in the hiding spots, which makes the hiding MUCH better. The only drawback is you have to decloak after you see your target and are already rushing at him. This means if anyone is behind your target, they will see you decloaking. Often, though, even if you die you will take your target down. You MUST be willing to get a 1:1 kill/death ratio on Spy. That's really the best you can hope for until you learn the tricks.

Also, Instant Respawn servers are BAD for spies. The enemy will know the area you're in immediately upon respawn (b/c of the snapshots at death), and will be coming for you. Not only this, the Spy is far too fragile to rush a point near a spawn that's continually flooding enemies out. Ask Dana about this, he plays mostly on a Insta-Spawn server, and I simply can't play there as a Spy.

For the Medic, you have to alt-fire when your uber-meter is at 100%. Just right click, and whoever you're healing (and yourself) will get the uber. It will not show YOU as glowing (but you are). You should see the "uber glow" around your target. You have to maintain a healing beam on your target in order to keep the uber going. If you are not seeing the glow, you might want to make sure you don't have the Kritzkrieg equipped. When it "ubers", all that glows is the weapon, as it is a 100% crit buff instead of invulnerability. Also, you can change uber targets mid-uber. This is handy if you notice someone near you on fire/about to die, you can swap over, then back to your primary target, and both will be ubered very briefly - advanced tip Wink
Erik Dodd
Forum User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravage wrote:
You cannot do anything but run while cloaked. You're essentially correct, just decloak, land your attack, and hit the cloak button again immediately. The exception is when other enemies are around, when attempting to recloak would get you killed, then you just need to duke it out w/the revolver, or do an endo-run and get backstabs on them (and be proclaimed a hacker, fyi). If using the basic watch, what I do is cloack past the front lines into a hiding spot (usually a corner or nook where you're not immediately visible to people running towards the point/intel) and decloak. As a prime target walks by, simply run out immediately behind as if you too are running toward the objective. Knife the loser, immediately cloak, and head back to the hiding spot. Find a new hiding spot every several kills, as people will be expecting you in certain areas. Also remember after killing someone to pick up their weapon, as it will recharge the cloak a bit.

If you are lucky enough to have Cloak & Dagger, you don't need to decloak in the hiding spots, which makes the hiding MUCH better. The only drawback is you have to decloak after you see your target and are already rushing at him. This means if anyone is behind your target, they will see you decloaking. Often, though, even if you die you will take your target down. You MUST be willing to get a 1:1 kill/death ratio on Spy. That's really the best you can hope for until you learn the tricks.

Also, Instant Respawn servers are BAD for spies. The enemy will know the area you're in immediately upon respawn (b/c of the snapshots at death), and will be coming for you. Not only this, the Spy is far too fragile to rush a point near a spawn that's continually flooding enemies out. Ask Dana about this, he plays mostly on a Insta-Spawn server, and I simply can't play there as a Spy.

For the Medic, you have to alt-fire when your uber-meter is at 100%. Just right click, and whoever you're healing (and yourself) will get the uber. It will not show YOU as glowing (but you are). You should see the "uber glow" around your target. You have to maintain a healing beam on your target in order to keep the uber going. If you are not seeing the glow, you might want to make sure you don't have the Kritzkrieg equipped. When it "ubers", all that glows is the weapon, as it is a 100% crit buff instead of invulnerability. Also, you can change uber targets mid-uber. This is handy if you notice someone near you on fire/about to die, you can swap over, then back to your primary target, and both will be ubered very briefly - advanced tip Wink

Ya I have the cloak and dagger. Actually I think I have most of the weapons so far that drop. Spies are nice but mostly I just see them as annoying. I probably won't play them much because I like a class where I have the potential to do a lot more damage. I think with a medic that's where I'm screwing up. I have the Kritzkrieg equipped. I just remembered that one day I went and sorted through all the weapons I have and put them on everyone. I'll have to go back and change that.

Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritz is really useful for Arena maps, and if your team already has a good medic with Uber. However, Kritz is mostly inferior to good old fashioned invulnerability.

Also, the beauty of Spy is that only a few people can effectively use them as a "PWN yer face" class. It takes quite a bit of learning/training to get good with them, and even so, they can be irritating to play because you get killed so easily (accidentally even). It's rare that I'm not close to top of the scoreboard as Spy, however - they can be very rewarding and can make a HUGE difference, especially if their team knows how to work with them.

I suggest at least learning Spy enough to learn the tricks, then it will make you a much more effective counter-spy, and they won't get you as much. One word of advice - always look over your shoulder. You should constantly be checking your 6, and if ANYONE is there, shoot them. You'll fend off at least 50% of the spy attacks that are currently killing you, guaranteed.

Of course, that won't stop me from falling out of the sky at you Twisted Evil
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KABOOOM!

that is all. Stab ya later, Dodd.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TF2 newest HAT update

check out the NEW new hats!
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice little patch. I have the axe and shiv already (both are pretty good, the shiv is an absolute upgrade). I've seen about half the hats ingame already.

In particular, the map change to pl_pipeline is great. The extra stairway was absolutely needed. That map just got more awesome.

/goggle at the Medic goggles...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: