House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d00g
Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: PC problems Reply with quote

Gonna try to make this as short as possible. the other day my PC I have had for less than a year crashes for no reason. The BSOD states it's a video driver problem, I tried to replace the video driver several times, even uninstalling the drivers I had and putting the ones it had on it when I bought the PC. Nothing fixes the problem, and if I disable the drivers it will boot into windows normally. Since it was less than a year old I was able to take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they ran a diagnostic on it for free. They just called us and told us it's a trojan causing the problem, and that they could fix it for $130. The trojan seems like a very convenient (for them) thing for it to have even though I had Avg anti virus on it and I do not go to any websites I don trust.

Here is my question, The OS is Vista, and I have recovery discs but, before I slap the discs in and take it back to factory specs. Is there anything I could do to take care of this myself, or anyone who would be willing to help us out in taking care of this issue? $130 is just too much when we only paid $399 for it to begin with.

Plague
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get into windows at all. download malwarebytes and have it run and clean the spyware. "IF" that is the actually cause.

If you can get it install, the scan will work in safe mode too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jard's idea is sound.
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also download AVG's free version. Its pretty good. I would defiantly go with the reload. Its a pain in the ass, but saves you $130.
d00g
Forum User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the PC back and I know it boots into windows because I can hear it on my speakers. However my monitor keeps telling me there is an unsupported video mode and will not display anything. Tried my TV and my old CRT monitor also, and same result. I had the video drivers disabled and I am thinking that the monitor refuses to display the current setting of 1024X786 it is set on. I am able to get into the BIOS and can pull up the boot screens and recovery screens, but when I try to boot into windows, no display. Unless I can figure out what is going on with the display I don't have any way of fixing the other problems the PC is having.

Side note, I did some research and found out that vista has some problems with nvida drivers and that MS released a fix to stop the issue, I think this is the problem I am having, but I cant to anything without being able to see what I'm doing.

Plague
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get into safe mode?

If you can, try uninstalling the video drivers. or see if you can run the fix from there.

thats my best guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
d00g
Forum User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the PC up and workign again. Turns out in additon to the driver issue, my monitor would not display anything when the PC was on. Did some research and found out how to get the PC to boot into windows in 640X480 mode, so it would display. Ran Malwarebytes, only found 5 things that were adware. Grabbed the windows hotfix I was missing, changed the resolution, anf rebooted. Working fine now. Turns out there was also an issue with Vista and the Nvidia drivers and that was causing the graphics issue. The hotfix I d/l took care of it.

Finally, I am going to buy an antivirus program, AVG free just doesn't seem to catch somthings, also screw you Geek Squad, $130 for five ad-ware trojans and that wouldnt have fixed the problem I was having anyhow.

Plague
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. glad you got it working.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ry works at Micro Center now. They certify ALL their tech guys. Ry couldn't work as a tech there. She CAN get a job as a Geek Squad Nerd Herd n00b. Point being (if you didn't catch it) Geek Squad knows nothing. Don't EVER go to them.
Forum User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at best buy remember. Most of the Geek Squad knows what they are doing but they also want to make lots of money since they get bonuses. Bottom line, they will do as little as possible and charge you the most for it. Lawl

Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you did, Doug. My point was that Micro Center won't rip you off. They have trained people who will do what they can to fix your problem but when they charge you its because they did something.

I'm comparing Micro Center to Geek Squad like the Saints to Michigan in football.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: