House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fleet Name?
Favor the Bold
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Shades of Grey
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Admiral Trell
Forum User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, I shall!
Wang
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i made a science officer named Nalrie on the USS Malore. When the game goes live though I will be Lothian of the USS Khall'inanen
Plague
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get in and create a normal character with Nacho Connery. got through the tutorial, the game lag is very ignore, but it is only a beta. so I assume it will be fixed by release.

I like the ground combat, the movement and camera are not so great, but I will hope that is improved.

Space combat, is fun, but I hate the controls and that the weapon arches are not displayed on the circle around the ship. you have to just keep turning until the weapons light up. I assume I can change the controls, but the server went down before I could. I will try it tonight.

overall, very impressed with the game so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wang
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your mouse over the phasers or torpedos and it will show the arc. I don't know if there is an always show arc command or not though. And today I looted a Banana Split on a alien planet..... WTF, well I guess everybody likes Banana Splits.
commandertracker
Forum User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plague wrote:
I was able to get in and create a normal character with Nacho Connery. got through the tutorial, the game lag is very ignore, but it is only a beta. so I assume it will be fixed by release.

I like the ground combat, the movement and camera are not so great, but I will hope that is improved.

Space combat, is fun, but I hate the controls and that the weapon arches are not displayed on the circle around the ship. you have to just keep turning until the weapons light up. I assume I can change the controls, but the server went down before I could. I will try it tonight.

overall, very impressed with the game so far.

I did think the ground game looked very fluid from the movies I saw. Figured space'd be a tad trickier.

Totally buying tomorrow.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story...

So after the LAN, I brought my computer home and hooked it up a couple days later. My Mac drive started clicking -- drive heads would not engage. Not good, since I had no backup. Well, I DID have a backup until a couple days earlier, on my Macbook, but I deleted it because I was gonna get Carbonite and the backup was about a week old anyway.

I forgot to get Carbonite before the LAN, so there you go.

Jared came over and brought an external HD case so we could try accessing it from the Macbook. Well, we got it to stop clicking, but the drive kept mounting/unmounting (that's what she said), so we put it back in the tower and booted to Windows. Found and installed a trial software app called MacDrive that allowed me to read & write to the Mac drive. I finally was able to make my backup again, but not without using all but about 400mb of my entire Windows drive, lulz.

Needless to say, I forgot this little tidbit when I pre-ordered STO tonight on Steam.

So, I just spent the last hour and a half backing up 102gb to the Cube in Target Disk Mode, so I could have room to INSTALL THIS FREAKING GAME!

Anyway, STO is downloading now at a nice brisk 1.4mb/sec, but I plan to be fast asleep by the time it's done (that's what she said?)!
Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it l;ooks like they've posted the subscription rates for STO.

rates

Since I have never played an MMO before, please correct me if I am not understanding this correctly: they want me to pay $50+ for the GAME, THEN, I have to pay a monthly fee of $15? Since they give you the first month free, it's going to cost me almost $100 to play this game until the end of May???!!?????

SCREW THAT
d00g
Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$15 a month is standard MMO pricing now, whether the game be good or bad. Used to be you could play your favorited MMO for around $6 to $10 USD but WoW changed it all, creating the $15 standard. Since BILLIONZZZ of peeplez playz teh WoWz taht meenz $15 es teh goot preces no?

Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMOs have monthly fees because, unlike regular games, they are constant works in progress. They don't just release bug fixes after the game goes live, they are constantly working on the next expansion, or the next big feature to introduce. Star Wars Galaxies was my first MMO, and it was $15/mo too, but that was back in 2003. It was around for over a year before WoW came along, but I'm pretty sure it was EverQuest that started the $15/mo trend. The good news, I guess, is that MMO monthly rates haven't gone up a bit in over 6 years, while game technology has increased a LOT.

The one thing I've never understood about MMO pricing is that, if we're paying monthly fees, why does it still cost $50 to buy the frickin thing? You'd think that those profits (much profit, brother! lol Rom) spread out over time would allow them to lower that initial cost.

I'm making up for my extra $15/mo expense by lowering the speed package on my cable modem a bit.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Daniel that is the standard for MMOs, since SWG... WOW, EVE, and every other MMO just follow suit afterward.

I complete understand you saying "SCREW THAT", because in college, I said many many time, that I would never pay a monthly fee to play a game.

I have ate those words many times over now, and thing is, if you have time to play the game regularly you get your moneys worth...

example. you pay $8.00 to watch a 2 hour movie, hoping it is good. so like $4.00 per hour... you play STO for an 1 hour everyday for 30 days. you are paying like $.50 an hour to play the game... and it is for the most part more enjoyable then some movie that you spend $8 for, and it is with friends so it is even more fun.

just my two cent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Admiral Trell
Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I guess I do sound terribly Noobish since everyone else has played MMO's, and thus knows what to expect. I guess it just hit me the wrong way when I found out about the rates. Somewhere I must have gotten it in my head that they only charged about $5/month or so. Oh well. This better be one FREAKING good game to drop $150 per year....... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good reason why casual gamers don't get into MMO's quite so much. For me, an MMO SAVES me money per year, because I am less likely to buy more $50 games to keep me amused. I'll still buy the important ones, like SC2 and D3, but I would be less likely to buy stuff like DragonAge, or Mass Effect, even though those are great games - just because I'm already playing something that is using up my time.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Daniel, all good points made by the others. I can't make any new ones but rather, just agree with them. Since you've never tried an MMO. I suggest you get the game & try the first month & see if you even like it. If you do, pay for a month or two & see how it goes. Getting the year in advance packages, while saving you a little cash, is stupid. You don't know what your situation will be like in a years time & if you'll have time or the desire to play it. Pay month to month & see how it goes.

I think you'll enjoy it & it'll be WELL worth the money.
Forum User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one who has never played an MMO before Daniel. I'm new to this too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'all will need vent to talk to us while we all play. also, use this thread to ask questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: