House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GLENN BECK UNELECTABLE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talismonger
Forum User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Context Reply with quote

One more quick point about context. When I first chose to post those lines, I did look at the context. For some, I watch portions of his program so that I could see the lines on both sides of the my quote and hear his presentation. (youtube is an amazing thing) For others, I read portions of the transcripts that contained the quoted material. I still think those specific criticisms are fair.

It is fine to revel in political victories over your opponents, but not in their personal suffering. Debate has ended when someone likens a group or position to Nazi Germany or invokes concentration camps. To suggest that a muslim congress person is a terrorist, simply because you know that many ignorant people may think that is inappropriate demagoguery. His comments on Cindy Sheehan also don't represent debate, only name calling.

Perhaps these are not examples of his general caliber of commentary, but they are none the less his comments. They therefore do have something to say about his level of dialogue. IF you want to convince me otherwise then do so, but simply claiming that I don't know him because you have been watching him for years is not particularly persuasive. Clearly I'm willing to listen, since I have already gone out and done a little research on the issue. Adam, if you want to buy me a ticket in order to convince me, I'll block out the time so that I can go. However, we will definitely have to discuss afterwards.

Be Well,
--Spencer
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question the sources where you get your Beck-information, Spence. This is not to be difficult or disagreeable, but simply because I know that your conclusions have missed the point of Glenn's message (or perhaps found more fault with his delivery than his message in the first place - which would be another issue entirely).

Also, I cannot disagree more about the "Nazi invoking". If we cannot learn the contributing factors to one of the greatest human tragedies in history, and point out similarities in today's world, mindful of repeating such mistakes, then we really haven't become a very "enlightened" people at all.

That said, it is difficult to understand how one can NOT see the message behind those Beck quotes if proper research has been done. Assuming for a moment that you know at least as much about them as I do, I find it confusing. My only guess (and it may be stretching) is that you are equating absolute value to words rather than meaning. For those who aren't Semioticians here - Essentially you're implying that the quotes are bad simply because the words (or phrases) are inherently bad in some morally(politically?)-concieved way.

I don't think this is the case with you, but if it is, then it would explain why we have such marked differences in reaction. Obviously, my view on meaning in language is quite the opposite. Perhaps it just requires a more developed knowledge of the Glenn Beck canon to understand? I won't dicount that. Limbaugh is the same way, but more severely so.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clarification Reply with quote

Talismonger wrote:
However, he appears to have a habit of going over the line, and lowering himself to inappropriate comments instead of dialogue. Humor can be great, but it isn't funny to call a senator a terrorist or to suggest that far left liberals deserve to have their houses burn down. That isn't humor.

Again, you still don't get the point I made Spence. Context is key. I remember those quotes and Glenn has even taken time on his show to read those quotes from the lib blogs & explain how people are twisting them for their own agenda. You're just repeating those.

Glenn uses humor and over the top antics to get points across. Rush does this a lot too. They do it to show how over the top and ridiculous a story is by being over the top and ridiculous themselves to show how stupid it sounds. I like it. I get it. Its too bad you don't, especially with the sense of humor you have...you should get it, AND given enough time to listen, I STILL would bet money that you would get it.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy you ticket right now Spence. But I'll warn you. Glenn is over the top...again, he does this on purpose to make a point about his stance on an issue. Its funny. You're meant to laugh at it.

I told you that I know Glenn because I've listened for so long. I've met the guy. He ISN'T the guy that the lib blogs want to make him out to be. He ISN'T those quotes. Did he say those things? Yes and I wasn't offended at all by the quoted. Why is that? OH! I heard them in context of the ENTIRE SHOW.

I agree with Damin that your sources are probably slanted with their own agenda. My source is the horses mouth. (BTW, he does have a hard time with forming good sentences sometime. He's a recovering alcoholic, drug user for Pete's sake. Thats a whole other discussion. You get used to it. Honestly, thats probably where some of his worst "quotes" come from. His brain being a little too fried from the drugs to spit out his point as eloquently as he'd like to. Still, he's still extremely smart for doing so much damage to himself. don't use drugs kids.) He did NOT call a senator a terrorists, he said others would say that and gave the guy TV TIME to say otherwise. Glenn doesn't believe that. Besides, there are far WORSE senators that I'd believe are terrorists before that guy.

The Cindy Sheehan thing was dead on. She didn't care about her son dying, she just wanted to "prostitute" her son's death to get her political opinion across. I would NEVER do what she did if my kid made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Again, his context is dead on.

The fire one I don't remember and the sentence doesn't even make sense. I'll look that one up sometime.

Comparing the global warming thing with Hitlar and fascism makes perfect sense IF you understand what fascism really it. Look it up. Go read Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg. This guy gets it and I bet you'll be shocked by what he has to say. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Fascism "silence all dissenting voices" is exactly what Gore and other Global Warming people do. The science doesn't support Gores "facts". Ok, off topic.

If you know anything about Glenn then you know how passionate his is about the good and bad Muslims. He used to constantly get on the GOOD Muslims (you know the one who don't want to blow people up) for not standing up and taking back their religion. They don't. Zuti (Yoser?!) is a Muslim he has on the TV show often to talk about this stuff. His point is the good Muslims must stand up and speak their view because only the bad ones are and they are hijcking their religion. I already talked about the Senator...

Opposing the war. Ha! You clearly don't listen. The second half of Glenn's stage show is his "campaign speech" I can't wait for you to hear it and disagree. I don't think you will. You may not like his over the top humor (add moment here. Glenn constantly says to give him six solid weeks of listening to him on the radio to see if you get it or not. People do all the time and they end up getting it. You could try it Spence. I'm an Insider and can download the last 30 days all the time. I'd share the info with ya. No money out of your pocket) The war. Glenn says (& I agree) you fight the war with the might of the US Military or you leave tomorrow. Staying and fighting a half-ass war is unethical and immoral, YET thats what most of the politicians in Washington want. Thats his stance & mine too quite frankly.

Ok, enough of this talk. I have to get to church on time. I just bought your ticket Spence. You'll be busy July 17th at 8 on the southwest side of town. We'll make a new thread with directions and stuff to remind everyone. We could all meet at Dana's that night and carpool as well. Whatever works.

My suggestion for you Spence is to try to listen to the show as MUCH as you can between now & then. The radio show I mean. If you have the net, you can download them & listen every day with my account. If you want to come watch the TV show with me or with the guys at Dana's house, then you can do that. Its on at 7, 9 & Midnight every night on CNN Headline (its just the same show repeated 3 times). Just let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tZWc-eY19g
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/11306/#June_6,_2008_(Friday)

Start reading from the bottom up. This is written by Glenn's attorney & friend Joe Kerry. He did it while out on tour with Glenn for the stage show. Its interesting and hilarious. Just to get Spence used to Glenn & for the others to enjoy if they haven't already.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I read transcripts from Rush's show all the time, and he is SO much easier to follow via text than Glenn. I've never read one of his transcripts before, and it's rather disjointed. Of course, it all comes together hearing it live...just kinda odd.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminder!

This is Thursday night! I'm going to pick up the tickets tomorrow. I suggest getting there fairly early to get a decent seat, AHIGHT! I'll probably get the tix to everyone before hand.

Also, afterwards, if anyone is willing, I might be up for heading over & seeing Dark Knight! lol

11:59pm, Midnight, 12:01am, 12:02am are the showings. Glenn's show is exactly 2 hours. He can't go over, the stream will cut off after 2 hours so we could easily make any of these shows but I'd rather not go by myself.

So discuss.
Forum User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show starts at 7:00, yes?

If so, then Glenn + The Batman = FTW!!!!!!!!
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably too late to see Batman afterwards. I have to work the next day.
Plague
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will be headed straight there after I get off work at 6:00... Adam I will have your $20 too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

show starts @ 8. Its at 1800 Georgesville Square Drive in Columbus incase you want to look up directions. I'll make my way to the theater with my family (since they are coming).

I'll probably see Dan between now & then but I'm not sure about everyone else. Should I drop them off or what? Will Spence be riding with Jared or Dana or Damin?

Just let me know what y'all want me to do. Thanks.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm driving myself to Glenn's show, but I'll have to pass on seeing Batman at midnight.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will be leaving from Tuttle Crossing at 6:00. So I don't know if anyone will be riding with me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well looks like I can't pick up the tickets early. So I guess I'll just get there really early, find seats & I'll wait outside with the tickets for everyone to get there. So PLEASE get there early.
Forum User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Early Reply with quote

Good Day,

You got it. See you there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: