House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECW 6/27

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: ECW 6/27 Reply with quote

ECW is dying quickly. Sadly, Vince is using it as his experiment ground & RAW advertisement show rather than treating it as a new independent brand. I guess we all knew this was going to happen but hoped that it wouldn't. I read Tito's column & he gives ECW till the end of summer to live its course. He compared ECW to all of Vince's other failed side projects (such as the XFL) I totally 100% agree with him. The ONLY way to save ECW at this point (& by save I mean make it a worth while brand that doesn't reak of WWE) is to lower the show production a tad, have shows in smaller arenas with a 100% ECW based crowd. ECW fans will treat the show differently & will thus lead the direction of the show down a different path. Proof of this is the only ECW house show. ECW fans ate guys like Big Show alive. If this was happening on the TV show then they might push Show heel among do other things differently. I'm sad about the whole thing & still cling to the hope that it changes but I wouldn't bet one frackin' dollar that things change.

so, onto the newly titled WWECW 6/27 review.

Match 1: Sabu vs. Roadkill
awesome ECW style match. I love Sabu (as he's back to his ECW style, FINALLY) & I love the Amish Roadkill as he's a good wrestler & funny as hell with the Amish gimmick. Joey was calling classic names like Roadkill's Side Walk Slam as the "Dirt Road Slam". Its small things like that which made me love Joey back in the REAL ECW. This segment earns a MORE!

Mordechei (sp?) is shown outside again. He does look kool. More on the vampires. I like them.

Tommy calls out Show for "another sir" & Show gives it to him. This feud is odd as its just Show beating up Tommy every week. That was Tommy's gimmick in ECW but no one cares here because the fan's just want to see Rey. /sigh. Medicore, it could be good but isn't doing anything else.

Knox tells Kelly to strut her crap for him only. I like pairing her with him in this way. (more on this later) More.

Kurt throws out a good promo about how he feels he's a failure since losing his title at Mania. Good stuff. More plese!

Mike Knox (w/ Kelly) vs. Danny Doring
Ok, Knox is new, I'll give him his chances. I know Doring from the REAL ECW & I like him. However, this match was too short to develope & I HATE that about WWE. Kelly starts striping for a plant. I like her in this roll & Knox left & pushed the guy & left. I like her as the valet that wants to strut her stuff (maybe to spit Knox even) Mediocre here cuz the match was too short. Now, Kelly goes over & takes up too much time & does her dance stuff. WTF? Knox covers her & takes her out so that she can come back & dance for 5 mins? Why did he wait so long? KAYFAB IS DEAD! MEH! Stupid Vince.

Sandman vs. Gyrating Idiot
I guess this guy is part of the creative team....what does that say to ya. Anyway, he shakes his bananna hammick (/shiver) & Sandman enters (to his piss poor music remember) The idiot strips & Sandman gets a hillarious look on his face as he drinks his beer. The idiot takes his beer & pours it on himself & Sandman snaps & canes him pretty badly. I laughed. More. I like these segments once & awhile but not every week. Give Sandman his dignity back & let him come in to ENTER SANDMAN!

Paul talks to RVD. RVD is a stoner again. Where is the intense, extreme RVD from last year? I liked him. meh.

Edge shows up, GO TO SMACKDOWN TARD! meh.

Kurt vs RVD.
Terrible. These two can outshine most but instead they trade rest holds for 70%. RVD hits his spots & then pins Kurt. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. LAMOID! Meh. RVD needs to step it up as champ & show everyone why they call him the whole f'n show cuz lately he hasn't been.

Final score would be a meh. Way too many problems for me to be happy. Get it right soon Vince or you'll have ANOTHER failure on yer hands. idiot.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: ECW is dead, but ECW is going strong! Reply with quote

As luck would have it, I can now record ECW on Sci-Fi at 11 p.m. on Wednesday night (that would be 9 a.m. your time). So starting this week, I can join in the fun!

This is not ECW, but of course, we already knew that. This is WWECW. I'm fine with that, since I found the lack of story in what little ECW I used to watch to be disturbing. There is some story building here. With that, the quality of the story is lacking. I read Tito's column, and can only partially agree with him. ECW will succeed, though it will not succeed in the way you or I want it to. I believe it will pick up and become just another WWE sideshow, never quite making it to the level of "something new and different...or old and different".

Sabu vs. Roadkill - VERY good match. There were some good spots, and a very well executed finish. It's good to see Roadkill in there, as this was classic ECW. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Vampire gimmick? I'll reserve critique until I see more.

Tommy and Big Show - Okay, Show's new music blows, seriously. Without the bluesy "Weeeeeellllll", it loses all of its dramatic flair. I think that flair is needed, and is part of why ECW failed to catch on originally. I realize it's just a remix of his old song, but it's now incredibly boring. As for the Tommy thing...WTF? Hasn't this been done? I give the segment a 3 out of 10 for lack of originality.

Knox and Kelly...okay.

Kurt's promo...overdone. He needs to take it easy with his character, or risk turning into the slightly-post bestial sex Kurt again, when he was borderline psycho. Besides, he's taking time off soon, so why the promo? Waste of time. 4 out of 10.

Knox vs. Doring - Decent match, though a bit short. I like Knox, he shows some promise, and moves quickly for a rather large man. I agree that using Kelly as a distracting valet is good. She should do the Stacey Keibler thing, though and help Knox win with her assets, or else the whole angle can only make it a short while. 6 out of 10.

Sandman vs. jobbers - It's funny...and as long as the characters he squashes are new and funny, it can keep going on. That can't happen, though. Without Sandman's music and entrance, he's just not cool. He can't even really drink beer on the way down for fear of getting it on the moms and kids!!! Screw doing ECW after Smackdown...just plain dumb. Get the Metallica music, for cryin' out loud! It's really the only original ECW music you can't live without. 6 out of 10.

RVD as stoner is cool with me. He can't act intense very well.

I like Edge more and more...he needs to ditch the ho, though.

Kurt vs. RVD = Kurt all by himself. I'm starting to remember why I never really liked RVD...HE SUCKS. He does lots of cool moves, but his technical skill is minimal, his brawling is bad, and all he really does are the same spots over and over. Kurt carried this match to a decent finish. I understand they need to build ECW on RVD, but he's going to quickly earn my ire as he doesn't really EVER have interesting solo matches. 6 out of 10.

That would make my overall score a 5.3 average. Of course, I'm sure RAW wouldn't be too much higher, so I consider that pretty okay. For examples sake, I would give Stargate SG-1 mostly 9's and 10's, Boston Legal 9's, LOST 8's, Mythbusters 7's and so forth.

I like ECW so far. Last night's was pretty good. In fact, it's better than Smackdown has been recently, so I'll definitely stick with it for now.
Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ECW is dying quickly. Sadly, Vince is using it as his experiment ground & RAW advertisement show rather than treating it as a new independent brand. I guess we all knew this was going to happen but hoped that it wouldn't. I read Tito's column & he gives ECW till the end of summer to live its course.

Tito is a self-absorbed fool. He was wrong about the DX reunion, and I think he's going to be wrong about ECW. Tito used to write good columns, but that was 4 years ago. He's become a jaded windbag and I refuse to read his columns anymore. But since you guys are talking about some points he made, I went ahead and read today's column...

He loves to use the XFL as ammunition against Vince, but that's not fair. WWE lost a TON of money on the XFL, and it wasn't all Vince's fault. Yes, they tried a lot of new gimmicky things, like interviewing the coach/players during the game, having wrestling announcers calling games, etc... but I think most of the blame lies on ABC (or whatever network it was) for pulling out after just one season. People who aren't fans of wrestling aren't going to go out of their way to watch a football league owned by a wrestling company. There's a stigma attached to WWE by lots of non-wrestling fans that would have taken time (more than just 1 season) to get out of their minds.

Tito does have a few good points... it's just too bad for him that they were already made by other people on the forums weeks (and months) ago.

"ECW needs to be independent of the WWE"
Poorly worded by Tito, but what he's trying to say is what people have said since the early rumors that ECW was coming back: an ECW show needs to have ECW fans. Right now they're doing the ECW show live, which is good, but it's after a Smackdown taping... so A) the fans are tired after just sitting thru 3 hours of Velocity and Smackdown, and B) it's a Smackdown crowd, NOT an ECW crowd. ECW's crowd is the true legend of ECW. You see & hear some at the new shows, but it's nothing like the One Night Stand audience.

"RVD needs to mature his character"
This has been said by people (not named Tito) for months, if not a couple years now, and I agree with it -- RVD's gimmick is old. Now that he's champ, he should start changing his character. Dress a little more classy, stop talking like a high school dropout, etc. ... I agree with all of that. What I don't agree with is when Tito disses his wrestling style using words like "horrible" and "piss poor." His acrobatic moves are a big part of what made him famous. Yeah, he under-sells a lot, but not nearly as much as Johnny Nitro, and look what it got HIM! (lol kidding tho) Seriously tho, Rob's style is okay. It's his character that needs refined. I think the best thing to do would be to turn him heel BIGTIME & bring back Alfonso. The character changes would happen immediately, and maybe his ring style would also change some. Rob can successfully come off as intense, too... remember last year's ONS?

In one paragraph, Tito whines that the new ECW show is "a complete shell" of the old product. Then, 4 paragraphs later, he questions whether the old product would even work nowadays. Great writing there, chief.

Lastly, since I'm tired of talking about Tito, I think its hilarious that he thinks he'll get $50-$75 on Ebay for his VHS collection of Wrestlemanias, LAWL... nub

Now I'll be the first to admit the new show needs serious changes.

Problem 1: Too many WWE wrestlers.
(Well, technically, they're ALL WWE wrestlers now, but you know what I mean)
The additions of Kurt Angle and Big Show to the ECW roster should be enough of a "WWE presence" to draw attention to the show. I'm glad John Cena stayed off the show this week, although I haven't hated his role on the show. I'm counting the days until Edge no longer shows up there, too. ECW looks to be slowly coming away from all the Raw interaction, which is what eventually NEEDS to happen.

Problem 2: Kelly
Kelly needs to either stick with the "Expose" segment, or stick to being Mike Knox's girlfriend. I'm hoping they drop the whole striptease thing. Everybody already knows how it's going to end up, anyway. Knox will throw a towel at her and it'll be over. The show is only an hour, and they waste a good 5-7 minutes on that stupid segment. Plus the music sucked. ECW might be "a new breed unleashed," but one thing that will never be unleashed on live TV are Kelly's bewbs. Also, this is still a Smackdown crowd. There are lots of kids there... several of whom this week were sitting within 20 feet of Kelly's little stage. That just doesn't sit right with me... these are kids who come to see their heroes like Rey or Batista, and then end up seeing that garbage. I totally blame their parents for not getting them out of there before the ECW show, though... but still.

Kelly's role in Mike Knox's match was great, though. She accompanies him to the ring, but he has to keep one eye on her and one eye on his opponent. It makes an otherwise boring and ordinary wrestler stand out a little more.

Problem 3: Under-using The Sandman
I don't know if Sandman is still able to do full matches. Last year at One Night Stand, he looked bloated and slow. Today, he looks lean, mean and ready to go. But watching him walk & move makes me wonder. Sandman is like Sabu -- ECW thru and thru, and they should push him bigtime. I don't think there's ANY chance we'll ever hear his Metallica theme again... but his new theme does suck.

Problem 4: Not enough back-story given on ECW wrestlers
When you have guys like Danny Doring or Roadkill who come out for a match, people who never watched ECW aren't gonna get into the match very much. The matches themselves were great... but there was no buildup to either character, and I'm disappointed that Joey Styles didn't talk about their past in ECW during their matches very much.

I think the biggest surprise to me in this whole ECW thing is Sabu... I figured he'd show up for ONS and maybe a couple TV shows, but this guy really seems to be cooperating and performing well. That slash he got from the table last night was nasty! His matches w/ Cena have been great, and he is really showing what an ECW match should look like. I hope he stays healthy enough to keep showing up.

Big Show's new music rubbed me the wrong way when I first heard it, but I've heard it several times since then and it's growing on me. He's not the same character he was in WWE. He's going to be much more intense, and Paul is going to push him as a big unstoppable monster like he SHOULD be. The new theme lacks that "bluesy" quality, but then... so does his new character. It's hard to hear that new theme when everyone talking/cheering over it... I hope we can find a copy w/ no crowd or announcers over it...
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandman is lean & mean once again. The Sandman character can be an awesome one for fans to get behind if used right. I hope he gets the development he deserves & his music again. I love the Sandman.

Vampire gimmick worked for the brood. Give their music & even gangrel back as a leader (maybe not wrestler, but manager) & it could work.

ECW back stories. Anyone who watched knows them which means 80% of the current WWE crowd knows nothing about them. They do need to be told but the requires them being USED first.

I too am liking Edge more & more. He's a great heel & I would like him if he wasn't such a dirt bag in real life. Lita is useless, drop that ho.

Tito is a moron, but he's right. ECW will fail if they don't appeal to the original ECW fans quickly. That doesn't mean that it has to be old skool ECW but it does need to appeal to them (& as one, its appealing to me less & less)

Show's new music is great. I love it. I downloaded it & listen to it pretty often. I think it fits his new persona as big & angry.

That is all for now.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, if the articles on LOP are to be believed at all, Heyman is no longer in charge of ECW in any practical way.

I think Vince is a genius when it comes to business...but as a creative producer, he's getting awful stale. Would it be wrong to think that we'd even be better off with Steph at the helm right now? Maybe, but the old man's getting pretty darn crazy anymore.

I hope Shane is around so much because he's getting ready to take Vince's place...wouldn't that be nice?????
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane will NEVER take over the company. Steph & Hunter will. Steph is worse than Vince (although not much) Vince only has had a few good ideas, he just keeps trying to re-create them & do more & more "shock value" stuff. Neither of which I care for. Paul Heyman is awesome cuz he knows how to put on a good wrestling show that fans will ENJOY. Vince doesn't understand this (I highly doubt he ever has.) As you said Damin, Vince is a buisness genius, I agree with that. He knows how to make the bling bling but doesn't know how to make fans happy with a good & decent wrestling show. Sadly I feel I'll never see a good wrestling production again in my life unless someone takes over TNA, Shane takes over WWE or a new company comes along. I just don't get it. Vince has RAW & Smackdown already to play with, why can't he just let Paul lose on ECW & let him shine. OH! Thats right, it would prove that Vince can't run a good wrestling show. Imagine it. Paul runs ECW with no holds barred & no imput from anyone associated with WWE. Paul, Tommy & the other wrestlers would make stuff up like in the old ECW. Fans would pick up on it. Slowly at first, but eventually I guarentee it would be pulling in some awesome ratings. Then what? Vince would be shamed. RAW & Smackdown would have to WORK & put effort into their story writing which is asking WAY to much, obviously.

Whatever, I'm sick of it. I love wrestling but the WWE will never change unless the McMahons are taken out of the picture. I'd like to hope that Shane has a better eye for wrestling than the rest of his family but I don't know for sure.

I feel so bad for Paul & Tommy & the other ECW guys. They are promissed the return of ECW & Vince, once again, screws over everyone as much as he can & now WWECW lives on as Vince's playground for dumb stories that he's wanted to do for years.

[Adam yawns & promtly turns off the TV to play WoW.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: