House of ZAN Forum Forum Index House of ZAN Forum
This is the forum for ZAN group

HomeFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussion on X3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravage
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Discussion on X3? Reply with quote

As I sit, bored at work as usual, I have decided to write out a lengthy diatribe on the most recent of the X-Men movies, since I just saw it the other day, and getting to xanga to do a proper review is impossible from my office.

As many of you know, I am a fan of the X-series, although I never liked it as much as Spider-Man or Batman (among a few others). This third installment was almost like watching two movies unfold at the same time. One was an adrenaline-pumped thrill ride (to use movie critic lingo), and the other was an absolute crapfest. I think the easiest way to explain this is with two lists...what was good, and what was bad. (Because nothing was really in the middle with this movie.)

IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS, STOP READING NOW!!!!!!

The Good:
- Danger Room sequence rocked.
- The premise of a "mutant cure" was a great setting for the movie, and a well written story as well.
- The execution of the Phoenix storyline was adapted for film very well, and was not overly complicated. Kudos to the writers.
- The additional side characters (Shadowcat, Angel, Colossus, Multiple Man, Juggernaught, etc.) were given action time, but not focused on as story characters, which worked very well.
- The "new main" characters (Beast, Iceman, Pyro) were developed very well. Special props to Kelsey Grammar for making Beast probably my favorite character of the movie...which is odd, considering I've never really liked Beast before.
- Iceman going into Ice form had me marking out a little inside.
- So did the two "fastball specials"
- Shadowcat's action sequence vs. Juggernaught was brilliant!
- I actually enjoyed the fact that Rogue got the "cure". Given the makeup of her movie character, I thought it fit very well.
- Iceman vs. Pyro was cool, though I was hoping for a little more.
- Even though I don't like her, Halle Berry plays Storm better than anyone...and she really looks cool in that role.
- The last battle scene was nothing short of amazing. ("This is why the pawns go first")
- There were many tiny little tidbits in the movie that really made the comic fan in me cheer. The story was great overall, and it was a great ending to the X-series.
- Beast said "Oh my stars and garters"....FTW!

And now the bad:
- Juggernaught's Helmet...nuff' said. He didn't need it to make the character work.
- Though I like Halle Berry as Storm, they gave her WAY too important a role this time. I realize it was because Berry was bitchin' about not having enough screen time, and that just makes it even worse.
- As always, too much focus on Wolverine.
- Taking away Magneto's powers was kind of anti-climactic, though for his movie character, I suppose it worked. Teasing their return at the end, though makes me wonder what the heck they're trying to do.

And now the REAL bad:
- Killing Professor X was absolutely needless. I really feel that his death served no purpose in the telling of the story, besides shock value. Mind you, I'm not upset that they killed him off, just that he died for no real reason. I kept expecting them to reveal that he wasn't dead...but no, they just needed to kill someone off to show how bad Phoenix was...poorly done, writers, poorly done.

And the absolute WORST:
- Killing Cyclops off in the first quarter of the movie was inexcusable. Now, I realized they never showed him die, and it's entirely possible he could return...however he didn't. No, it appears they just wanted to make Wolverine the love interest of Jean and have him strike the killing blow on Phoenix. Right up until the VERY END, I was expecting Cyclops to pop out of nowhere and hit Jean, distracting her so Logan could kill her. Now THAT would have been an ending, and Cyke could have taken Xavier's place as headmaster. That would have even partially excused Pro-X's death. As it stands, however, I have definite hatred towards this movie for killing off the definitive "X-Man" (remember many in the comics have claimed Cyclops is the one true X-Man), merely to have Wolverine take his place. Killing Phoenix should have been a joint venture of the two.

Just in case you were wondering, as a movie-goer, I give this movie an 8 out of 10.

As a comic fan, I give it about a 4 out of 10.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, you should have stayed after the credits. Moira is in a hospital & some patient she is checking on has Xavier's voice saying "Moira!" & the movie ends. This leads me to believe that they plan on more X-Men movies. /sigh.

I love X-MEN. Its my all time fav & this movie, just didn't do it justice. I pretty much agree with ya on everything Damin. I just don't understand how you hit such small comic book tid bits like Beast saying "Oh my stars and garters" & then miss the fact that Juggernaut wasn't actually a mutant.

Kelsey Grammar did awesome on Beast, thats what I was looking forward too & I enjoyed it. Other than that, the movie needs a ton of help. If I were making that movie, that is NOT how I would have done it.

as a movie goer I would give it a 5 outta 6

as a comic fan I would give it a 2 outta 6.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wondered if there would be anything after the credits, but I went with a gal from my unit, and wasn't going to ask her to sit there with me through the whole thing.

I didn't miss that Juggy wasn't a mutant in the comics, but there again it's simply a changed premise for the sake of the movie. I don't think it's bad, just like Phoenix was explained as a dual personality rather than an alien entity. It was all for the sake of the film, and I thought it worked.

Well, in light of that info, another movie could be made that would help fix my major dilemmas with this one. Apparently, you were harder on the movie than I was even. I still think, as a movie, it was spectacular. I'm just pissed with the deaths of X and Cyclops (if they don't bring him back, then it really doesn't matter to me if there's a 4th).

That really gives me some hope...the franchise can yet be saved. They have GOT to lay off Storm and Logan though, for cripes sake!
Dana
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Discussion on X3? Reply with quote

Quote:
- I actually enjoyed the fact that Rogue got the "cure". Given the makeup of her movie character, I thought it fit very well.

I never liked Rogue's role in the X-movies. She was an essential plot device in the first movie, but in X2 and X3, she just runs around being moody. This is NOT the Rogue I spent a number of years reading about growing up. The writers have been borrowing way too heavily from the "Ultimate" series when it comes to Rogue. In fact, other than her mutant power, they really didn't use ANY of her "Uncanny" persona at all. I hope any future X-movies don't have Rogue in them.

Quote:
Iceman vs. Pyro was cool, though I was hoping for a little more.

Me too, but Iceman actually turning to ICE made me happy.

Quote:
Even though I don't like her, Halle Berry plays Storm better than anyone...and she really looks cool in that role.

I have to agree. I can't think of anybody I'd rather see playing her, although Storm has always been very tall, and Halle's not... but that's just details. Storm became the leader of the X-Men in Xavier's absence around the time of the Dark Phoenix saga, and I think they did a good enough job of setting her up for that role in X3.

Quote:
As always, too much focus on Wolverine.

Make no mistake about it, Wolverine has been the biggest star to come out of the X-Men franchise. He's about as close to a "household name" as any X-Man is going to get. I think it's natural for them to focus on him. They are reportedly working on a pre-X-men setting for a Wolverine movie, during his Project X days. I can't wait for that one...

Quote:
Taking away Magneto's powers was kind of anti-climactic, though for his movie character, I suppose it worked. Teasing their return at the end, though makes me wonder what the heck they're trying to do.

It proves the "cure" wasn't really a cure at all, since there's nothing wrong with mutants in the first place. As to whether it'll just wear off over time, or if it will take a lot of time & concentration to develop the mutant powers again, it's unclear ... and maybe they'll explore it more in future movies, I don't know.

Quote:
Killing Professor X was absolutely needless. I really feel that his death served no purpose in the telling of the story, besides shock value.

A) Patrick Stewart doesn't want to do any more X-Men films
B) They needed to show just how powerful Jean could be. The only other mutant that moviegoers would equate with as "uber-powerful" would be Xavier.
C) Losing Xavier was something the X-Men needed as a team to "evolve" or "step up a level" in the comics. Same goes here, I think...

Quote:
Killing Cyclops off in the first quarter of the movie was inexcusable. ... (remember many in the comics have claimed Cyclops is the one true X-Man)

In the comics, Cyclops was a true leader, although I'm not sure about that in the Ultimate series, because I don't like it OR read it. But, in the movies, Cyke was never much of a leader. That's not to say Wolvie was one, either, but instead it reflects on Xavier's role as the team "leader." As far as the movies are concerned, Charlie was the "go-to" guy for all the big decisions, not Cyclops. They just never made him the leader that he was in the comics.
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very valid points for the most part, Dana...I do think that movies can take alot of freedoms that the comics cannot.

HOWEVER

I do believe there are certain precedents that should be adhered to. Killing off a character (Xavier), not having Rogue act the same, making Juggy a mutant, making the team a hodgepodge of different eras of X...all fine by me. I feel shifting Cyke from being the "leader" shafts that character big time, since other than being one of the definitive leader types of the Marvel universe, he's not very interesting.
Grand Master Sef
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bottom line opionion is that even if they DO make another X-Men movie, I won't care. I'll probably go see it, but I'll be as excited about it as another Elektra movie.
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3 was crap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    House of ZAN Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: